Thursday, July 30, 2009

What do I need to focus on learning to begin a carreer in web design?

I'm a senior computer science major and would like to get into web design. I have basic familiarity with programming languages such as Java, C++, COBOL, etc., and am pretty adept at HTML and CSS.





I wanted to find out what I should focus on learning if I intend to persue a carreer in web design in the next year or two.





What programs, languages, and concepts make up the primary areas of focus these days in web design? What are the most important aspects to understand?





My understanding is that these are very important:


Flash


Dreamweaver/Frontpage


ColdFusion or .NET (database connectivity)


Graphic Design Techniques


HTML, XML, PHP





I wondered how those of you that are actually working in the field would change my list?





Is there a particular order of concepts that would help me learn it best (a curriculum, if you will)?





I'd appreciate all the help I can get in understanding what direction to go in. There's so much to learn, and I really don't know where to start.

What do I need to focus on learning to begin a carreer in web design?
Front side of the business:





Flash


Dreamweaver (frontpage is a breeze)


.net and whatever implementation you're looking for (ASP, VB, C#)


HTML, XML, PHP


ASP is a big riser now, since it can do a whole lot.


Security Techniques! (ftps, https, VHTML etc)


IF you're a aspiring web dev and know good security procedures, then you're golden





Stay as open minded as you can and learn CONCEPTS. Don't get bogged down in specifics, because then you'll get pidgeon-holed and become obsolete. However, if you know basic web design principals its just a matter of symantics and syntax to become a brain-child with a new toy or program.








Also make sure you know scripting (JavaScript, php scripting, CSS...) so you can make stuff look nicer





Backside of the Business:


Database TEchniques.


SQL, MySQL, Oracle, Access, ColdFusionMX





DataMining techniques are a biggie. Server administration; know your way around a MS Exchange server. Know about IIS controls on Servers. Learn about Linux (and why people use linux boxes).. again; its concepts and not details...
Reply:learn all about it here, in a very professional way-





http://tinyurl.com/o5e26





all the best :)

quince

No comments:

Post a Comment